The EU funded flagship initiative GCCA+ is organising a side event on the margins of the twenty-fourth session of the Conference of Parties (COP24) showcasing GCCA+ experience over the last decade and key lessons learnt. The event will be accompanied by the unique virtual photo exhibition SHE changes - Women and Climate Change.
The event GCCA+ 10th Anniversary: Implementing long-term adaptation strategies in LDCs & SIDS will take place on 7 December at the EU Pavilion of COP24 in Katowice, Poland, showcasing GCCA+ experience over the last decade on key lessons learnt in adaptation planning and implementation, with special focus on Small Island Developing States (SIDS) and Least Developed Countries (LDCs).
Through presenting the impact after a decade long experience in adaptation planning, policy and implementation, the GCCA+ event tackles some crucial COP24 questions such as:
- How can adaptation (planning and implementation) lead to better sustainable development outcomes?
- What are GCCA+ key lessons learnt in SIDS and LDCs?
- How can GCCA+ services stimulate the adaptation community on developing synergies for long-term adaptation planning?
Core to this event are case studies from GCCA+ projects in Uganda, Ghana and the Pacific region presented by:
- Uganda: Kennedy N. Igbokwe, Project Manager, FAO-GCCA+;
- Ghana: Augustine Collins Ntim, Deputy Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, LoCal GCCA+;
- The Pacific Islands:
- Espen Ronneberg, Climate Change Adviser, SPREP & GCCA+ Scaling-up Pacific Adaptation –
- Gillian Cambers, GCCA Pacific Small Islands States project Manager, Pacific Community
- Myanmar: Kyaw Moe Oo, Director General, Department of Meteorology and Hydrology (DMH), Ministry of Transport & Communication, Myanmar GCCA+ .
Opening and closing remarks will be respectively by Nicola di Pietrantonio, Programme Manager at Sustainable Energy and Climate Change Unit, DG DEVCO EU Commission and Elena Visnar Malinowska, Head of Adaptation Unit, DG CLIMA EU Commission. Moderation will be ensured by Guido Corno from the GCCA+ Support Facility.
The event will also be the occasion to present the GCCA+ Journal 2018: Innovative and effective approaches to climate change adaptation and other Paris Agreement priorities, and a timeline video with a Brief history of the Global Climate Change Alliance Plus.
Not to be missed: the unique virtual photo exhibition SHE changes - Women and Climate Change paying tribute to the millions of women who are living with, and overcoming, the everyday impacts of climate change, created to mark the tenth anniversary of the Global Climate Change Alliance (GCCA+). It can be seen for the whole duration of COP24 at the EU Pavilion.