GCCA's action programme
Initial GCCA/GCCA+ contribution
Support the DRC in implementing its climate change policy, by strengthening its programme for reducing carbon emissions and enhancing carbon stocks.
The specific objectives are (i) the implementation of multi-level training programmes on adaptation and mitigation issues and (ii) the implementation of an agro-forestry plantation and restoration/management programme for degraded forests in Eastern DRC.
Result 1: Human resources are better trained and more effective in adaptation and mitigation issues.
Result 2: Restored and managed agroforestry plantations and forest ecosystems provide fuelwood and income for people, increase carbon stocks and reduce pressure on protected forests in eastern DRC.
- Definition of short training programmes in all topics related to adaptation and mitigation, including forest policies, forest management, methodologies for carbon stock analysis, monitoring, reporting and verification;
- Adaptation of these training courses to different target audiences (government officials, politicians, media, civil society, etc.);
- Continuation of diplomatic training and research activities initiated with funds from the 10th EDF and other donors;
- Reinforcement of collaborations and synergies with intra-regional and international training and research networks;
- Equipping and rehabilitating certain training infrastructures;
- Social and environmental impact studies;
- Necessary accompanying studies (development plan, land studies, planning, etc.);
- Definition of priority areas and agreements with public authorities, especially decentralized entities and customary authorities;
- Definition, implementation and monitoring at the level of local communities of simple natural forest management plans oriented towards wood energy production;
- Support for the installation and management of energy wood plantations, particularly by small-scale private planters and villagers;
- Support for the installation and management of energy wood plantations with the private sector for the establishment of private commercial plantations;
- Studies and research on the financial perspectives offered at the international level (avoided deforestation, REDD mechanisms, CDM...);
- Social communication, education and awareness-raising programmes.